Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Convergence and its affect on my life

Convergence in technology is something that has become imminent and an everyday part of our lives.  As technology moved into the digital era it allowed companies to converge their technology.  This not only promoted innovation, but it also changed the lives of billions of people around the world.  I see the affect convergence has everyday in my life, including right now as I write this blog.  But the area in which I've seen the greatest affect on my life through technological convergence is with my cell phone.  I have a Motorola Android phone that has the same computing capacity as the Dell desktop computer I had ten years ago.  It has an HD camcorder, 16GB of hard drive space, can perform a multitude of functions that essentially gives me the convenience of having a computer in my pocket.  This is benefit that I've seen in my life through convergence.  The same convergence allows companies to continue to compete for innovative and useful technology, which is ultimately geared to consumer demand.  I also feel that at the exponential rate at which technology is advancing can be somewhat alarming.  There is a trade off to this information revolution that remains to be seen as tablets, smartphones, and HDTVs continue to compel the next generation of consumers.  And we must be careful to keep a close watch on the negative impact that technology can have on our social and cultural norms, as well as our intellectual and educational standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment